Today there are several alternatives to crowns - one of the possibilities are veneers which are thin layers of restorative material placed over a tooth surface, either to improve the aesthetics of teeth, or to protect a damaged tooth surface. Veneers can lengthen teeth that have been shortened by wear, close spaces and/or provide a uniform color, shape, symmetry, etc.
This technnique is the most elegant achievement of aesthetic dentistry - a porcelain veneer achieves the highest aesthetic result: most closely matching the light handling properties of natural teeth.
There are 2 possibilities for the usage of veneers:
- Without any drilling - veneers are placed on top of teeth. Treatment is less invasive, but as teeth are not reduced in size, the tooth thickness will increase.
- About 0,3-1 mm of enamel from the tooth surface will be removed - this is an amount nearly equal to the thickness of the veneer.
- treating tooth defects
- cosmetic corrections of discolored teeth
- corrections of damaged teeth (worn down, chipped or broken)
- correction of misaligned, uneven or irregularly shaped teeth
- reduction or closure of gaps between teeth
- correction of centerline-margins without orthodontics